Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Recycling station

This term our concept focus has been sustainability. We have chosen to focus on environmental sustainability, in particular to ensure that:

'We're tidy kiwis and we promise to put litter in its place!'


We learnt about where our rubbish (which we throw in the general rubbish bin) ends up.

Once the rubbish truck picks up our rubbish they take it to the landfill. Here rubbish can take 1000's of years to decompose (break down). 


Illustration by Jason

So we decided we needed to do something to make sure we send as little rubbish to the landfill as possible. We created a rubbish station in our class to sort our rubbish into the correct bins. 

Our 5 bins are: 

  • Organic (goes to our school worm farm) 
  • Plastic (Some goes to Countdown for soft plastic recycling) 
  • Aluminum 
  • Paper & cardboard (goes to the recycling center
  • General rubbish (goes to the landfill) 





As you can see the General rubbish bin now has less rubbish, and our rubbish is being redirected to be reused and recycled.

We hope more people realise how important our environment is, and try to do their bit to reduce, reuse and recycle. 

9 comments:

  1. I lke the pictures of the rubbish truk.

    by sharmake r9

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodmoring my name is Princeton and I am from Wesley priamary school. I liked the way that you were working hard and hard.next time you Should do a Video of you Sorting rubbish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I am Wynette I am part of this class. And I am a tidy kiwi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am now going to help, the inviermint. I have a tidy kiwi promise : we're tidy kiwi's and we promise to put rubbish in it's place. I want New Zealand to, be as clean as possible when, we all get older.😉😉By Wynette

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love learning about sustainability, and other stuff to. By Wynette. Thank you all for giving us all lovely comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. kiora room 2,

    I am Fatima and I really liked how your class is trying to solve one of the worlds problems by making a recycle station! The idea was very nice your class must have a very smart thinking teacher!! Well done keep up the good work and then maybe your class can solve a worlds problem,

    yours sincerely,
    Fatima

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love learning about what you guys are trying to do to save animals in sea life and in the jungle,Rain forest,The Artict.I like everything that you put on your blog about rubish and heaps other stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Cottier Class,

    It me Marwah From room 6. I like the amazing learning that you have done to save our planet. I also like the rubbish truck that you have drawn. You guys have a smart thinking class. Keep up the good effort.

    Kind regards,
    Marwah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Cottier Class,

    Its me Marwah from Room 6. I like the amazing learning that you have done to save our planet. I also like the rubbish truck that you guys have drawn. You guys have a smart thinking class. Keep up the good effort.

    Kind regards,
    Marwah

    ReplyDelete